Shower drain question...

Users who are viewing this thread

OldHouse

Reaction score
I am remodling an area as a master bath. I am going to install a 3'x4' 3 piece shower unit (can't get a one piece in). I have roughed in all the appropriate drain and vent lines, but...

What I am wondering is how do you all go about connecting the shower drain to the p-trap under the shower?
In previous jobs I have done (tub in guest bath) the joist space ran such that I had a simple floor cut out and reached maybe 10" in to cement it all up.
This shower, though, the joists run such that I will be reaching half the width of the shower, plus the stud wall, just to get to the drain (about 28"). I can just barely touch it.
Do I just find a long-armed friend? glue everything up, put blocking under the p-trap and just drop the base and drain down on it hoping it lines up perfectly?

How would you all approach this?

Thanks,
Quinn

fashx

Reaction score
in locating you shower tray , you must consider accessability for service later . if you cant gain access to the trap to make a secure joint to the drain from below the floor boards , then i sugest making a platform to rest the tray upon , use a compact shower trap which takes up less space
i hope this helps

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Many shower receptor bases don't rely on a glue connection to the drain...it is a compression rubber fitting. Not that this helps if the instructions say to glue it. Are there solvent glues that are slower to cure? This may help if they are available.

OldHouse

Reaction score
solution...

I made a simple cut-away in the subfloor that makes it easy for me to get into the area under the drain now. Shouldn't be a problem. Should get it installed tonight or tomorrow. Thanks,
Quinn

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks