Shower door rough-in

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by export!, Nov 19, 2009.

1. export!

export! DIY Member

Roughed in a 36" square shower. I assumed a finished door opening of 24" would afford me a wide choice of "off the shelf" pivot shower doors.

After a quick look, I see a lot of doors described as 25". Is there a standard finished opening width I should be shooting for?

Easy to fix now - hard to fix later!

Scott
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

How did you get from 36" rough to 24" finished?

You need to plan right now. There are no standards, per se. Look at spec sheets for doors. Find a door you like, then rough to that. There is no tolerance on the specs. If the spec sheet says fits 25 to 27 1/4", for example, that is it. NO SLACK!
  3. export!

export! DIY Member

OK guess I'll pick out a door first. For clarity - the shower itself is 3' square. I've roughed in the door opening to have a finished width of 24"
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

There is a minimum size spec'ed in code...not sure what the minimum opening size is...you certainly don't want to end up with an opening that is too small. Depending on the door, if it has a frame, your actual opening if the rough-in size is 24" is likely too small. Unless you go frameless on the door, you'll lose probably an inch or more on each side. A typical door in a home is probably at least 28", and 30" or 36" doors aren't uncommon. The actual opening is always smaller than the door size to accommodate the stops.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

door

Normally the opening IS 24", but you have to make it whatever the door size IS.
  6. krow

krow Plumber

most "off the shelf" shower doors will need an opening between 23"-25" . There would be adjusting srews and pivot adjustments incase the opening is out of square or not level.

If the door is hinged with no tolerences, then the door is NOT an "off the shelf" item (it's a custom door)