Should I Change An Existing 1.5" Laundry Drain To 2.0"? If So, How?

Users who are viewing this thread

Temp945

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am doing some light renovations to a mostly-original 1960s Ranch that I recently purchased. I'll hire out anything necessary to a licensed professional, and do work when possible myself.

The existing copper laundry drain line is 1.5" behind the utility room's exterior-facing wall. The washing machine is currently a GE workhorse from the 1980s that still works great. I have not had any problems with the drain backing up, but have read that code now requires 2.0", and that some new laundry equipment may overwhelm the old 1.5" drain lines. I'm trying to think ahead and avoid problems.

The utility room is on a concrete slab. The rest of the home is off grade with a crawlspace. In the crawlspace I can see a 2.0" cast iron outlet coming through the foundation wall from the utility room.

The 1.5" copper pipe goes straight into the concrete slab, and I can't tell where it meets up with the 2.0" cast iron pipe. However, it can't be far away. In the attached photos you can see the step beneath the door at the right - this is approximately where the 2" cast iron pipe enters the crawlspace.

What do you all recommend for this job? Leave the existing 1.5" drain? Or do the extra work and replace it with 2" pipe?

I can only think of 2 options for replacing the 1.5" drain: jackhammer the concrete (I am replacing the flooring anyway), or run the new 2" pipe to the exterior wall and back into the crawlspace. Any other options that you can think of?

Thanks for your help!

mwEK9Dz.jpg

JD0u31S.jpg

Last edited:

Temp945

Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion. I have uploaded a new photo with labels. The 1.5" copper pipe is between the wall studs. There is also an unused (old) gas pipe sticking out of the floor.

You must be correct about the trap being beneath the floor. Since I'm not a plumber I have no idea how or why the trap would have been put in the slab. Where else would it be?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks