Shore Well Pump Question

Users who are viewing this thread

geoffjgeorge

Reaction score
Hi There...

I live on the Niagara River and I draw my water from a shore well. The line is black pvc (1" inside diameter). The line is about 150 ft and the terrain to the house is flat.

Inside the house I have a Jacuzzi 3/4 horse jet pump which pulls the water into the house. It then goes into a 50 gallon pressure tank and then is sent through my Culligan Water filters and softeners to be distributed to the rest of the house. The pump is about 12 years old and in very good condition. The pressure switch had been set to 50 - 70 and we had very good water pressure in the house.

Recently the bladder in the pressure tank went and we had to replace the pressure tank. Since then the water pressure hasn't been as good. The plumber also replaced the pressure switch but said he was not able to get the pressure to the same level they were at before. The most he could get out of the system was 30 - 50.

The plumber suggested that we should get a new 1 hp pump to correct this problem. My existing pump seems to work very well and prior to replacing the pressure tank and switch, I had GREAT water pressure.

Does changing the pump make sense? If it does, what is the best pump to buy for "pulling" water from the river?

Thanks Everyone!

Geoff

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
The pump isn't the problem!

If after readjusting the pressure switch to 50-70 the pump won't cut off I suspect a restriction in the nozzle of the pump jet assembly. If the plumber can't get the pressure switch to adjust to 50-70 I suggest he install a 50-70 pressure switch. I hope the plumber knew to adjust the bladder pressure in the new tank.
You may have to contract or at least call a qualified; licensed and NGWA certified driller or pump installer, CWD/PI.

geoffjgeorge

Reaction score
The water level has decreased somewhat in the river. My well is like a giant box set deeply into the side of the river, with special rocks underneath it for filtering. In the bottom of the box are holes that allow the water to percolate up. There is also a large intake hole in the side with filter cloth around it that allows water to fill in through the sides as well when water level allows.

The plumber is a very very nice guy, and really wants to help, but as you said, he may not have the correct experience with these things. Before my pressure tank bladder went, the switch was supposedly not made to handle 40/60, even though I know the plumber got the pressure up to 50/70. He said that he needed to change the switch to a 40/60 switch to get it to work properly, which I was fine with. Then as I mentioned before, he said the most he could get out of the pump and switch was 30/50 which didn't make sense to me. And neither did changing the pump make sense to me, although he offered to put on a 1 hp pump and if he couldn't get the pressure up, he would put my pump back on free of charge.

I had never heard about checking the nozzle in the pump, maybe there is sediment or something blocking it.

Thank you very much for your help and opinions!

Geoff

geoffjgeorge

Reaction score
Porky, it isn't that the pump won't shut off. The plumber is saying that he can't get the pump to deliver more than 50 psi, even if he sets the switch higher, and that is why he is saying the pump is caput.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Aquaman is right. However if it could build 70 lbs before it should be able to do it again. Keep in mind 70 lbs is about maximum for Jet pumps and jet pump horsepower don't build pressure, the jet assembly builds the pressure. A 1 hp pump won't solve your problem.

If you want 70 lbs plus pressure I suggest you consider installing a submersible pump in the lake. It won't lose it's prime, it won't freeze, it won't be tampered with or stolen. It can be mounted horizontally in a flow tube just of the bottom of the lake.

Porky, MGWC
www.dci-inc.us

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Fella's I beg to differ. A new 1 hp pump probably will solve the problem because the jet in it will not be plugged up. :D

Sales, think sales....:eek:

geoffjgeorge

Reaction score
The terrain is pretty level from the river to my house, so no real up lift. I thought about putting a pump in the cistern/well, but that would involve running electric under a public road, which is very expensive.