Sharkbite and hot water baseboard

Discussion in 'HVAC Heating & Cooling' started by rhg, Sep 18, 2009.

1. rhg

rhg New Member

Hello to all. I have a hot-water baseboard in my 2nd floor master bath that I want to either move or remove entirely. It will be very difficult if not impossible to sweat new fittings from below. I thought about using Sharkbit connectors to attach the new configuration, but I see that they are rated for only upto 200F. My boiler hi-temp is set at around 210F. This baseboard is at the head of the zone and the pipe registers 209F on an infrared thermometer. Maybe this is a stupid question, but can I use Sharkbites on this baseboard? I know the system is low pressure so I thought I'd ask anyway.

Another possibility: should I lower the temp setting on the boiler to 200F or will this screw up efficiency? Any ideas are welcome. Thanks

2. Furd

Furd Engineer

Retired energy systems engineer
    You can lower the boiler temperature setting to 180 and probably gain something in efficiency. As for the Shark Bites...I don't know.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement