Sewer smell

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Bobert, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Bobert

Bobert New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    I've read alot on this forum, I just need to hear it from the experts. We had out home built last year, and our homebuilder subcontracted out the the lowest bidder. I won't elaborate on how unhappy I am with the plumber, we are currently in litigation with the builder because of all the mistakes.
    We smell sewage emitting from the sinks, toilet etc. and "girggles" sometimes when flushing. I have very limited plumbing knowledge but I think our home has zero vents. Nothing on the roof either. Just a straight direct "tree" setup.
    What are my options? Is it a major difficulty to retrofit vents and roof vents? Like I said our house is new so I want to correct this problem the right way and eliminate the nasty odors!
  2. geniescience

geniescience Homeowner

Nov 27, 2005
    humid summers hot, humid winters cold
    you have to draw it out. Post a diagram.

the good news is that you will know a lot more when it is all over.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Mikey

Mikey Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek

Nov 8, 2005
    Central Florida
    With no sign of any vents, you may not be code-compliant. I would call the local health department and ask for a thorough inspection.
  5. GrumpyPlumber

GrumpyPlumber Licensed Grump

Jun 18, 2007
    Plumber, self employed
    Licensed Grump
    Honestly, I think it would be in your best interest to have it done right by a reputable plumber...then include the cost in your litigation.