Sewer line replacement

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by DIY_GW, Dec 30, 2007.

1. DIY_GW

DIY_GW New Member

Hello all,

I am currently digging up and replacing my sewer line. I have exposed about twelve feet of the line and now I need to cut it and replace it with ‘ABSâ€. The question is how do I cut it?

It turns out to be five inch cast iron. The hardware store suggested that I use a reciprocating saw (sawsall) that I bought. But I am thinking there has to be an easier way? How do the plumbers do it?

This is my first post although I have come here lurking for info several times.

thanks GW
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

sewer

In the first place it is probably 4" not 5" cast iron. We normally use a cast iron pipe snapper. I hope you got a bargain on the SawZall, otherwise a plumber could have cut it for you for a lot less money in about 5 minutes or so.
  3. DIY_GW

DIY_GW New Member

Won't the plumber charge me an arm and a leg just to show up, not counting the work to be done?
  4. construct30

construct30 New Member

I use a sawzall or metal grinder with a cutoff wheel. The snapper can make a bad break on an old pipe that is pinned in. Make sure if you use the sawzall you have a blade long enough to go across the diameter of the pipe plus the saw movement. I use one with mid size teeth for wood with nails, not the small hacksaw blade.
    They cut right off.

NOTE: Be sure when working in a ditch, you have a box cribbing. Cutting a pipe can bring the dirt down and you will die.