Sewer line replacement advice needed

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by jebar, Nov 3, 2008.

1. jebar

jebar New Member

I have an older home with basement and two bathrooms. The 2 sewer line outlets from the house go out the back to a common line around the house to the front. Tree roots in the lines in the back yard are a problem every two years.

My plumber suggests a new line running along the back wall of the house to the side of the house and tied into the original line as an economical fix.

I don't like the idea of the line in the basement.

Can anyone offer pro's or con's for the sewer line inside the length of the house verses the short runs to the back?
  2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

It is more economical to not have to dig.
    If you would rather pay the price of digging that is up to you.

Has this line been inspected with a camera?
    Depending on the lines condition a spot repair may be possible.
  3. Jay Mpls

Jay Mpls Master plumber

The shorter your sewer is the better.I would imagine the new sewer line to be pvc.
    Solvent weld joints mean no more roots.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

sewer

IF the sewers out the back are shorter runs, how is the system installed if the reroute means a longer sewer? As Spock says, "It is not logical."