sewer gas odor from injector pump

Users who are viewing this thread

rickagresta

Reaction score
hello, all; my problem is one of extreme odor, coming from the in-ground injector pump. This problem was not always present, so I'm at somewhat of a loss as to what the problem might be. The unit has its own vent stack, which as far as I can tell is clear & unblocked; I can't find any 'obvious' leaks or loose connections {e.g., the flexible plastic sleeves which join sections of PVC seem to be securely in place, and are tightly connected}.

If anyone has any thoughts they'd like to share, I'd be grateful.
tia,
Rick Agresta

ttboyy

Reaction score
Connection to the Vent Pipe?

I have noticed a similar issue with my recently installed Sewer Ejector. However I have noticed that the plumber connected the Toilet and Tub into the Main Intake within the Ejector housing, yet they tied in the Sink to drain into the Vent Intake Pipe.

Do you have a similar configuration? I am currently investigating a second opinion as to whether or not this is an acceptible connection. To have the sink drain into the Vent Pipe connected to the Sewer Ejector housing.

rickagresta

Reaction score
ttboyy said:
I have noticed a similar issue with my recently installed Sewer Ejector. However I have noticed that the plumber connected the Toilet and Tub into the Main Intake within the Ejector housing, yet they tied in the Sink to drain into the Vent Intake Pipe.

Do you have a similar configuration? I am currently investigating a second opinion as to whether or not this is an acceptible connection. To have the sink drain into the Vent Pipe connected to the Sewer Ejector housing.

actually, nearly identical. there is a kitchen sink across the room which connects to the main intake, as does the toilet. the sink in the powder room, though, connects into the vent pipe. the odor isn't in the powder room, though, it is in the utility room where the pump is located.

Rick

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
the smell??

where does the smell seem the strongest?????

is it around the pit itself????

is it throughout the whole basement???

you might need to use your nose to determine this....

smell around the base of the toilet too.....you might just have a bad toilet seal...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
it could be something as simple as not getting a good seal on the pit...

and it can be easily fixed with a couple of tubes of clear ALEX laytex siliocne.

if it seems like it is coming from around the lid of the pit, simply smear the alex on yourself and add that extra layer of protection ....lay it on thick.

smear it around the pvc pipes and also around the wires comming up from the pump too....use your fingers, it wont hurt.

the ALEX silicone laytex does peel off rather easily later on if ever need be...but makes a great seal for those more difficult smell problems.

It does not look too bad either and sometimes this is about the only way to
rid yourself of that kind of problem.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks