Sewage Pump Smell

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by HoneyDO, Dec 30, 2007.

1. HoneyDO

HoneyDO New Member

Dec 29, 2007

I have been working this issue on the pump section and it was suggested I post this on the plumbing side to see if there are any plumbers out there who can help.

I have a terrible odor from my basement sewage pump. I have bar sink almost directly over the pump that I have draining into the pump via the vent pipe. Is this incorrect? Would this cause the smell? What can I do to eliminate the problem?

Attached is a drawing that shows the sewage line with the check valve, and the vent piple with the sink draing coming into it from the back. I have caulked with scilicone the all of the fittings and seals, and I still have the smell. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I can't stand it any more.

Attached Files:

2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Dec 15, 2007
    Service Plumber
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. patrick88

patrick88 Plumber

Sep 3, 2007
    Webster Ma.
    From your pix I see the discharge pipe (pvc) is primed so I assume is also glued. I can see the blue on the pipe. I see some blue on the vent but can't tell tell on the 90. I would check all joints and after taxing all options I would smoke the tank to find the bad joint. That would find it:D
  5. alternety

alternety Like an engineer

Apr 2, 2006
    If you try "smoking the tank" be careful about the source of smoke. You can get an accumulation of methane in there. Methane + spark/heat =seals can be replaced after the shrapnel is removed. You could maybe use the exercise to celebrate new years eve tomorrow. A column of flame from the roof vent would be cool.