Sewage Pump Smell

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by HoneyDO, Dec 30, 2007.

1. HoneyDO

HoneyDO New Member

Hi,

I have been working this issue on the pump section and it was suggested I post this on the plumbing side to see if there are any plumbers out there who can help.

I have a terrible odor from my basement sewage pump. I have bar sink almost directly over the pump that I have draining into the pump via the vent pipe. Is this incorrect? Would this cause the smell? What can I do to eliminate the problem?

Attached is a drawing that shows the sewage line with the check valve, and the vent piple with the sink draing coming into it from the back. I have caulked with scilicone the all of the fittings and seals, and I still have the smell. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I can't stand it any more.

Attached Files:

2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

3. patrick88

patrick88 Plumber

From your pix I see the discharge pipe (pvc) is primed so I assume is also glued. I can see the blue on the pipe. I see some blue on the vent but can't tell tell on the 90. I would check all joints and after taxing all options I would smoke the tank to find the bad joint. That would find it:D
  4. alternety

alternety Like an engineer

If you try "smoking the tank" be careful about the source of smoke. You can get an accumulation of methane in there. Methane + spark/heat =seals can be replaced after the shrapnel is removed. You could maybe use the exercise to celebrate new years eve tomorrow. A column of flame from the roof vent would be cool.