Sewage pump. Out of ideas... DIY new basement bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

Bets

Reaction score
This is my spouse and I's first below-grade bathroom challenge. We've done pretty much every type of construction and remodeling except putting in a basement bathroom. And it's definitely kicking our butts! Any advice is appreciated.

Problem: We're putting in a basement bathroom (sink, toilet, and shower). Our main line runs from the stack into the ground. We tore up the slab and found out that the slope from Point A (where we want the bathroom) to Point B (main line) was not enough to allow for 1/4 inch per foot. It's practically even. In an effort to solve the problem, we went out and bought a sewage pump. Our goal was to run the sewage to the pump, then have the pump send the sewage horizontally to the main line. The horizontal run would be about 5 feet and a 1 foot slope. Well, after doing some Googling, I'm torn. People are saying that the check valve should be installed vertically. But what we really want is to do a 45 degree, attach the check valve, then continue to the main (see pic) horizontally. I'm torn because it has a lot of push power-- Everbilt 1/2 HP Sewage Pump, capable of 2" dia solids.

What are your thoughts? Is it okay to 45 degree? Suggestions appreciated.

FYI-- we're planning on burying the pump basin like normal, but sinking it a little lower and having a hatch area for maintenance. That's why there's that box area around it in the picture.

Attachments

• Pump Layout.png
    Pump Layout.png
    102 KB · Views: 619

Bets

Reaction score
Nevermind folks! I spoke with the manufacturer who verified that it is okay to bring it up, 45 degree, install the catch valve, then carry on horizontally. Just figured I'd post here for anyone else that may have the same question! I would still recommend calling the manufacturer of your particular pump and double checking what they're recommendations are.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Point A (where we want the bathroom) to Point B (main line) was not enough to allow for 1/4 inch per foot.
I'm curious how you measured it, since point "A" would NOT be obvious until you knew how you were going to install the piping. How deep is point "B" below the floor?

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is my spouse and I's first below-grade bathroom challenge. We've done pretty much every type of construction and remodeling except putting in a basement bathroom. And it's definitely kicking our butts! Any advice is appreciated.

Problem: We're putting in a basement bathroom (sink, toilet, and shower). Our main line runs from the stack into the ground. We tore up the slab and found out that the slope from Point A (where we want the bathroom) to Point B (main line) was not enough to allow for 1/4 inch per foot. It's practically even. In an effort to solve the problem, we went out and bought a sewage pump. Our goal was to run the sewage to the pump, then have the pump send the sewage horizontally to the main line. The horizontal run would be about 5 feet and a 1 foot slope. Well, after doing some Googling, I'm torn. People are saying that the check valve should be installed vertically. But what we really want is to do a 45 degree, attach the check valve, then continue to the main (see pic) horizontally. I'm torn because it has a lot of push power-- Everbilt 1/2 HP Sewage Pump, capable of 2" dia solids.

What are your thoughts? Is it okay to 45 degree? Suggestions appreciated.

FYI-- we're planning on burying the pump basin like normal, but sinking it a little lower and having a hatch area for maintenance. That's why there's that box area around it in the picture.

DO YOU HAVE ENOUGH ROOM TO GET 1% OF FALL (approx. 1/8" per inch). If so, you don't need a pump

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks