Sewage ejector pump or upflush toilet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Darlene

Reaction score
I have a tri-level home & want to add toilet, sink, & shower in the basement.
I currenty have a sump pit which the washer/AC dump into-have not had any problems. I am trying to decide which way to go when it comes to adding the toilet. Most plumbers in my area recommend the sewage ejector pump. I have concerns. What might cause this to fail (other than electricity)? If it fails will my basement flood with sewage? If the pump fails, do you have a smelly, dirty pit you have to open to get it out? What if my septic system or drain field fails, will sewage back up into house? Can the sink/shower discharge into the pit or does it have to go into the sump pit?

My question regarding the upflush toilet system (like Saniflo or Qwik Jon) where does the sink/shower water discharge? Are they loud? Can they flush with one flush.

Just generally what is the buzz on these systems?

Thanks for any help. Sorry so many questions just trying to make the best decision.

D. Green
eurekapeds@sbcglobal.net

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
You probably want a package system that will take care of showers, toilet, and everything in the basement. You may want to put your washer into it also.

There is a check valve to prevent backflow, and if you flush a diaper down the drain it will probably plug up. You shouldn't need a grinder pump which is much more expensive.

Your basement won't flood if it fails if you stop putting water into it. You could easily hook up a loud alarm to go off if it fails.

Yes, there is a nasty pit to open up if you have to replace the pump, but it is a "lift out" job, not a crawl in the pit job.

I like to find out what is available so I can negotiate with the plumber from a base of knowledge. You can get some idea by looking at www.grainger.com and doing some product searches (or if you can get a Grainger catalog). When you get to their site, you can do a keyword search on simplex sewage system package and you will get bunch of them to look at. Click on the catalog number by the picture to get the specs.

There are also some that don't show up in the search above. Do another search on dayton sewage system .

I would probably pick something like the Stock No 5YU15 or the 3XA92 or the 3XA93. Others may be similar and I haven't looked at all of them.

One of the critical things is that you get enough flow (GPM) and head (ft) to overcome the rise to the point where it dumps into your gravity system. Assuming you are pumping up one floor level, I would get something that has at least 50 GPM at 15 ft of head. Flow is especially important if you put the washer into it.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
tear up the floor

I am not sure what Bob is talking about or wether
he means the above ground package or a floor pit

I like tearing up the floor and installing a pit
pit because it increases the value of your home
over those packages that make it feel like you are living
in a FEMA TRAILER or on a house boat somewhere....

tearing up the floor is more expensive, but it definetley
makes it seem like a better job than the package systems
that you have to "step up " onto

and you can add a floor drain to that level of the house
if you so choose ..

the best pump is the ZOELLER with a separate mercury switch
attached to the side of the pump on the pipe for easy service
down the road

the Zoeller will pump it up on the roof and down your gutters
if wanted to .....

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I suggested a system in the floor. I would not put a system above the floor. I don't think the below ground system that hides it all away is all that much more expensive.

Zoeller is a fine pump. My problem is that a $500 pump and tank unit becomes a $5000 installation if you can't negotiate from knowledge of what is available in the marketplace. It is never a negotiation unless you are prepared to walk away and select an alternative.

If you are adding a toilet, sink, and shower in the basement, then it involves below-floor plumbing and the sewage ejector system should be another unit, just part of the package and included in the cost, not much more expensive than one of those Japanese toilets.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
Mark ,thank's, LOL

I can just picture out the roof,into the gutters. Be careful, some DIY may
install to these specs. I can see the inspector scratching his head :D

Prashster

Reaction score
Darlene-
I was thinking of doing the same thing. I'm a homeowner, not a plumber, so take my advice with a grain of salt...

Don't go with an above ground pump unit. They typically make them with 1.5" discharges and lower power motors, which make them less durable and more prone to clogs than their in-ground counterparts. I've read this in a million web posts, and my local plumbing supply co corroborates this.

Of course, roughing-in the below ground piping required for the inground pits will add about a couple thousand to the cost of your project, unless you're handy with a jackhammer.

I cannot comment on comparable quality of the different Simplex systems, but I believe it's better to purchase the parts separately; there isn't that much to the whole system anyway (check valve, pump, basin, lid, discharge pipe). In the end, you'll save a little money (~$50-$100) and you'll get better components (especially on the check valve and pump).

That's my 2Cents

Darlene

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. Looks like the pit pump is the way to go. So now I have some comparing to do. Thanks to Bob for the detailed info to compare pumps. I agree, I don't want the plumber to charge me whatever he wants, I need to be in the know. Thanks again everyone.
Darlene

Darlene

Reaction score
How do you know what size to get? This is just a guest bathroom. 3br home 2 adults 2 kids

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
get the big one

just get the big one

in case some one
leaves "the big one " in the pit

the price between the wimpy light duty one and the
best is not more than 75 bucks

and because I am
the guy that would have to come back out
and "dislodje some nasty bad boy" out of the pump
I always put the better one in...

down the road

always

Last edited:

Michael Trame

Reaction score
get the big one

just get the big one

in case some one
leaves "the big one " in the pit

the price between the wimpy light duty one and the
best is not more than 75 bucks

and because I am
the guy that would have to come back out
and "dislodje some nasty bad boy" out of the pump
I always put the better one in...

down the road

always

Hello all, i came across this forum and thought i maybe able to help some of the folks who are debating weather to dig a hole in the floor or go another route. I purchased and just installed a toilet system called Saniflo. It looks like a regular toilet (sits on the floor). It is a back flush toilet instead of a bottom flush like most standard toilets. It works really good and i am totally satisfied with it. It can pump 15 ft vertical and 150 ft horizontal. It is a system you can put almost anywhere. it has inlet holes for a shower and or vanity sink on each side. I love this toilet. i installed mine in the basement and it works really good. the only thinks you need are access to a drain line to your sewer and a 1110 volt out let. i purchased mine from Menards and couldn't be happier. I am so glad i went this route instead of punching a hole in the floor. They aren't cheap (around $1000.00) but i thought it was still cheaper than the other route. I'm not a plumber but i did manage to get this installed relatively easily. I can answer questions if anyone is interested. Hope this helps some people

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks