sewage ejector pump failing ??

Users who are viewing this thread

jasper1372

Reaction score
We moved into a new home in September 2003 which has one basement bathroom (toilet, shower and sink) as well as a front load washer which are served by a Wayne DSP410 Sewage Ejector pump (4/10 HP) with a tether switch.

Ok...here are the facts. I sometimes tend to get wordy trying to impart to many details sometimes....but I'm not sure what is relavent here.

I was replacing the 2" check valve the other day since the installation is between 5 and 6 years old and from past experience I had a check valve fail once in our last house and the flapper blocked the flow and the pump vibrated the pvc piping so much it broke the pipe and spewed water all over the basement floor...not fun !

So, I first unplug the pump and notice I have oil all over my fingers. Keep in mind all I've touched so far is the electrical plug head where it goes into the outlet. I look closer and notice the plastic/rubber plug head is all coverd in oil. I look above for something leaking on it and there is nothing up there. So I wipe the plug off, finish changing the check value and a few hours later I see more oil on the plug. I've wiped this off several times now and it always comes back in a nice little puddle on the top of the plug.....so anybody have any idea what's up with this ? I emailed Wayne pumps and all they sould say is that the pump is failing......ya, but why and how ?

Next question. If I need a replacement pump, what would be a good pump ? We've had two new homes in the past 14 years and both had wayne sewage pumps installed and they all seemed to last about 5 or 6 years....is that normal ? I was expecting a bit more since I had the builder put a cast iron unit in this time as opposed to last time when it was a thermoplastic unit that was a bit cheaper.

Anyway....anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to why my pump has oil on the electrical plug head, how long a sewage ejector pump should last when it serves one bathroom and one washer (bathroom used by one teen age girl only generally)

Thanks in advance.....

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I will speculate with no factual knowledge that the pump is oil cooled and when the pump gets hot the oil is expanding is wicking up through the insulation on the cord.

Pro's like Wayne pumps because they get a lot of calls to replace them as they go bad so often. For a good pump I would go with Zoeller. http://www.zoeller.com/zcopump/zcohome.htm

I buy mine from Grainger. http://www.grainger.com

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks