Settings for our new Fleck 2510sxt 48,000 gr. softener w/ 1.5 cu' SST 60 resin

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by k8ie, Apr 3, 2011.

1. k8ie

k8ie New Member

Well...after much consideration, we bought a softener system online & my husband has the install about completed. The co. we purchased the unit from said they would help w/ the settings but we can't reach them & things are starting to unravel. :eek: So, hopefully, you guys can give us an assist b4 things deteriorate any further.

Our water is city provided, hardness=25, no iron/mag. We are av. users (175 gal per day av.) & were looking to regen. about every 7 days w/ the goal of reducing our salt consumption, which was bankrupting us w/ our old system.

After lots of calculations, we had decided that 12# of potassium chloride per regen. would be about right with this size system...but now neither of us can remember how we came up with that. I do recall using a link that I found on this forum which was very helpful, but I never bookmarked it.

Could any of you lend us an assist in confirming the 12# figure? Or other settings that might need changing, for that matter?

BTW, things seem to be calming down here...hubby has become momentarily distracted by the ballgame :eek:
  2. Akpsdvan

Akpsdvan In the Trades

Why 12lbs and not 9lbs of potassium chloride?
    If you have the SST60 that resin has more capacity with the same amount of potassium or sodium chloride than standard resin.

The 9lbs capacity yield of 33000 because of the better resin and potassium chloride is a bit weaker than sodium chloride.
  3. k8ie

k8ie New Member

Thanks AKpsdan...I bet we most likely didn't account for the SST resin when we did the calcs. Matter of fact, I'd put money on it...

Which is not something I do lightly.

BTW, is that a Jack Russell I see lounging around?
  4. Akpsdvan

Akpsdvan In the Trades

She is part Jack Russell and they say Fox Terrier...

She is the ruler of the house and of the cats and large dog that the wife and I have.

We do have a full Jack Russell... between the two little ones it is a trip around here when they get to going...
  5. k8ie

k8ie New Member

Oh my...aren't they they best ? We had one for years. They don't just fill up a house, they own the house. And the better part of the surrounding countryside, for that matter.
  6. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

7. Akpsdvan

Akpsdvan In the Trades

On the SST60 from Purlite here is a capacity chart.

Attached Files:

8. Gary Slusser

Yes I have the same picture.

I don't see your 33K with 9 lbs, or 12 lbs/cuft. And you sure don't get more K with the use of potassium chloride, you can figure you need up to 30% higher salt dose using it depending on your salt efficiency setting; the higher the more PC percentage you need.

Question... I see that 9 lbs/cuft in a 1.5 cuft softener would be 12 lbs per regeneration, and... 30K at best for SST-60 right? I think that means that the k of capacity is dependent on the type and cuft volume of resin used, no? So why talk of reducing the PC volume to 9lbs when you don't know how much capacity they need to be able to regen every 7 days?

KBie, the average water use is 60 gals/person/day.
  9. JKERN

JKERN New Member

I do agree with Gary on the point that what we are speaking about is almost relative in terms the capacity at this point is uncalculable with out seeing what the raw water makeup is like. traditionally you get more capacity out of sst60 because of the shallow shell technology rather than actually using less salt. The salt savings is due to higher capacities pre cu3 of resin.
  10. Gary Slusser

I only used SST-60 for high iron, due to the shallow shell technology. Never for salt saving because many people don't see much if any and the price difference is substantially more for SST.