Setting a tub.

Users who are viewing this thread

pitteach

Reaction score
I'm creating a 2nd floor bathroom and I'm ready to set the tub. It is a 5' x 42" acrylic whirlpool with a accessible front skirt. The tub sits on 4 legs and I plan to set it in light plaster (structolite).

Questions:
Should i set the tub directly on the 3/4" subfloor or on an added 1/2" underlay like the rest of the bathroom?

I'm concerned about any moisture affecting and ruining the wood floor, so can I lay down a poly barrier on the sub floor before I set the tub?

I also have concerns where the tile floor will butt up to the tub skirt. I'm concerned that water will creep between the tile and the tub and will penetrate the sub floor.

I'm looking to head off any future problems down the road since I don't want to make any premature repairs.

Thanks.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I'm creating a 2nd floor bathroom and I'm ready to set the tub. It is a 5' x 42" acrylic whirlpool with a accessible front skirt. The tub sits on 4 legs and I plan to set it in light plaster (structolite).

Have you figured its weight when full of water and people to be sure your second floor can handle it?

Should i set the tub directly on the 3/4" subfloor or on an added 1/2" underlay like the rest of the bathroom?

I would add the underlay and tile at least to a point just inside the exposed edge(s) of the tub. Then, it will be easy to seal the tub's skirt to the tile.

pitteach

Reaction score
I too was very concerned about the weight. So I tore out the existing 2x6 floor joists (yes, I did say 2X6) and replaced with lam beams (lvl) and 3/4 in subfloor. The tub is sitting on 3 sets of doubled lvls that span only 8ft, so I would think I'm covered.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks