Self-testing backup sump pumps compatible with sealed batteries?

Users who are viewing this thread

wwtma

Reaction score
Sorry for the repeated questions -- I'm clearly very new to this :confused:...

In looking at the Basement Watchdog BW4000 (1/2 hp combo) manual, I noticed that they say explicitly not to use a sealed deep cycle battery. Knowing where the unit will be located (not to mention how good we are at maintenance kinds of things), I'd much prefer to be able to use a sealed (marine) deep cycle battery. Does anyone know what would happen with this system if we did that? (The FAQ only mentions that the older units would sound an alarm.)

Failing that, are there any other backup units out there that would be compatible with sealed batteries? Little Giant seems to be ok -- any thoughts on those? Though they don't seem to have a unit that self-tests every so often...

Thanks!

Carmel Corn

Reaction score
Bear in mind that Basement Watchdog conveniently makes their own line of backup batteries for sump pumps. Other reliable brands like Zoeller do as well, but Zoeller will also indicate usage of sealed AGM batteries as acceptable.

Other backup mechanisms like SUMPRO used to recommend 2 AGM batteries in their units.

IMHO - Basement Watchdog just wants you to buy their batteries.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Bear in mind that Basement Watchdog conveniently makes their own line of backup batteries for sump pumps. Other reliable brands like Zoeller do as well, but Zoeller will also indicate usage of sealed AGM batteries as acceptable.

Other backup mechanisms like SUMPRO used to recommend 2 AGM batteries in their units.

IMHO - Basement Watchdog just wants you to buy their batteries.

Basement watchdog in their instructions do say you can use maintenance free batteries you just have to take the fluid sensor and attach it to the positive side of the battery.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks