Security System is insane

Users who are viewing this thread

Gouranga

Software Engineer
Reaction score
Last night one of our glass break sensors started doing this extremely loud high pitched squeal, for 10 seconds every minute or so. After I got my heart rate back down to normal, I deactivated the system, it shut up, everyone was happy.
So with the alarm deactivated, about 2 hours later this thing starts doing it again. Does anyone have any idea what the heck would cause that? I was thinking maybe the sensor had died or had its connection cut and that was why it was going insane but I truthfully have no idea.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You need to call the MFGR. of the system and have them help you out.

Gouranga

Software Engineer
Reaction score
Thats what I was afraid of. It is an ADT system and let's just say, that contract was terminated by me and my wife under some not so good conditions.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Maybe it's like a smoke alarm and it whistles when the battery is dying.

Under the circumstances with ADT, you should probably spend some time learning all you can about the alarm system, and get some basic tools like a meter and a schematic.

Otherwise, you will probably have to abandon it.

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I used to own a security company. Can you give some details of any names on the glass break? Is it wireless? Bob's idea is a good one, but usually low battery is reported via the main alarm control panel.

The company in question is not known for their stellar customer support, or at least not in our part of the country. Most of the products they install are commonly available to other alarm companies, even if has their name on it.

I would ask around for recommendations of a good independent alarm company in your area.

Post as much info as you can here, and will give you as much help as possible.

Paul

Last edited:

Gouranga

Software Engineer
Reaction score
Sorry I went on hiatus there guys. Crazy week. So, my wife was reading the book and doing some web searches. She came to the conclusion that it was a smoke alarm built into this thing (which was something I did not know they had). The book said that could happen if it got clogged with dust and various other debris. So we blasted the little guy out with our shopvac and it has been behaving itself. Incidentally, if any of you have trouble waking up in the mornings, I would highly recommend this method. It will wake you up the entire house. Which let me to a thought. If someone had actually been breaking into our house, I wonder what would have been worse, the sight of me in my boxers of the bat I would have hammered them with.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
"If someone had actually been breaking into our house, I wonder what would have been worse, the sight of me in my boxers of the bat I would have hammered them with."

There are rules for dealing with burglars, and preparations to be made.

1. When a burglar is in your house, you are always in danger of being killed.
2. A bat is almost worse than nothing because it is a danger to the burglar but he will shoot you before he lets you get within range to be effective with the bat. Therefore, if you are going to defend yourself you must have a gun and know how to use it. Remember that "Gun control" means using both hands.
3. When your life is in danger (meaning whenever a burglar is in your house) you should follow standard police procedures; two to the chest and a third one to the head. You should keep shooting as long as he is standing but stop when he is prostrate on the floor.
4. Don't even think about warning him. While you are waiting for him to respond to your warning, he is shooting you.
5. Shoot him somewhere in the front, unless you actually see a gun. If you see that he has a gun, fire away. You don't want to be engaged in a fair fight; you need every possible advantage.

After a successful defense of your home, and preferably after the prosecutor determines that it was a justifiable act of self defense, you can send your first-person story to the NRA where it will be published with other stories about citizens who successfully defended themselves.

Gouranga

Software Engineer
Reaction score
Very true. the sad part is I am a true Gaston county redneck in that I have 6 guns in my home and a bow and arrow (which would actually be more appropriate), as well as a variety of long bladed weapons.
Afterward I was considering the fact that I grabbed the least lethal of all the weapons in my house. It was interesting that the burglar alarm at 3 am disoriented me almost as much as I would expect it to disorient anyone in my home.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks