Sealing grout in shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Thunderjet1

Reaction score
Hello all ,

I just recently finished grouting my walk in shower with Mapei ultracolour plus and i am wondering if it is necessary or recomended that i seal the tile and grout .If so, i have some Aquamix Sealers choice gold that i used on some pebble stone as a presealer for grouting ,will that be ok to use ?

Thanks Kevin

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Any cement based grout can use a sealer. Some tile won't be helped by adding any (glass, most porcelain, and most glazed tile). A polished porcelain should be sealed since the polishing opens up some pores in the surface.

Keep in mind that a sealer does not waterproof things (can make it a bit more water resistant), but essentially, it helps to repel stains and makes things easier to clean.

Don't let the sealer dry on the surface of the tile, or, at least with most of them, it will leave a funky coating that's a pain to get off. IOW, buff the tile at the indicated timing based on the product you use. The timing can vary, often becoming shorter in the winter as you have the dryer heat in the house verses the middle of summer when the humidity could be much higher.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks