Screwed up joist line up for fixtures

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by locus123, Oct 29, 2009.

1. locus123

locus123 New Member

We just had our bathtub delivered, and upon fitting it in it's space I noticed that the studs on the valve/drain side are 16" OC starting at the wall. This puts a stud almost directly in the center of the tub, right where all the valves, shower head, diverters etc are supposed to go. Placing a 2x4 on end between studs obviously won't work here, so I'm just wondering what the workaround is?

I figure I have to notch out the stud that is in the way where the fixtures have to go and work around it. Any other options?
  2. dcelite

dcelite Plumber

Can you put a stud on each side of your valve and remove the one in the center?
  3. locus123

locus123 New Member

Not very easily. The wall is up on the other side, so I'd end up destroying the drywall and have to patch all that up.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

valve

That happens all the time. Which is why we carry SawZalls. You notch the stud, but what do you mean "work around it"? You notch the stud, install the valve and secure it in place, then install the wall covering, period, end of project.
  5. locus123

locus123 New Member

Thanks hj, that's what i figured.

By work around it I mean that the line from the valve to the shower head will be directly over top of the stud (when I say the stud is in the wrong spot, it couldn't be placed more perfectly in the wrong spot). I either have to notch it out from the valve all the way to the shower head if I want a straight line connection, or only notch the valve and shower head then 90-90-straight line-90-90 to work around the stud.

I think I may just notch it out the whole way, then add another 2 studs on either side just so the cement board has something to attach to. I can't see any other way.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

stud

notch top and bottom and use 90's. You are trying to overcomplicate the installation.