Schedule 80 Nipples

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnnyGig

Reaction score
I have a 50+ year old Ranch house plumbed with copper horizontal and risers. At each fixture there is a Brass 90 with Galvanized Nipples and standard cutoffs. My plan is to replace all the standard valves with 1/4 turn ball valve cutoffs. Since the nipples are rusty (of course), my plan was to go with Bra$$. Each 4" nipple costs about $6.00. I picked up Schedule 80 Nipples (grey) for $1.00 each.
I have never worked with Schedule 80 Nipples.
Are they suitable replacement for Galvanized?
Teflon Tape? Dope?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Stay with copper/brass. PVC can break. Tape vs dope is a frequent question here. Some of us prefer just dope, some prefer tape, some prefer both. I have had excellent results with just dope.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A sch. 80 PVC nipple WILL snap at the threads, just like a male adapter, it just takes a bit more stress. NEVER use PVC of any kind inside the building.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks