Schedule 40 pvc through basement concrete slab

Users who are viewing this thread

buckaroo1234

Reaction score
Hello eveyone. I'm currently remodeling a basement bathroom. I'm installing a 48 x 34 Sterling
shower receptor on a concrete slab and have a few questions.

1. Good drain to use - was thinking about the Oatey brass drain that clamps around the pvc pipe in case of future maintance issues.

2. Should the schedule 40 pipe be sleeved where it goes through the slab or should i make sure to leave a small area around the bottom of the drain void of concrete when i set the drain. If sleeved what is the proper material to use?

Other notes are that i have positioned the p trap in the proper location under the slab. The plan is to use schedule 40 for the riser and connect to the receptor pan. The receptor drain cutout rests directly on the concrete - ie there is no space between the bottom of the drain cutout and the floor. Thanks for all replys.

Don

Last edited:

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
I think you will find that the strainer actually extends below the shower floor. You will need a spacer around the PVC for the strainer. You could just rap the pipe with cardboard several times to accomplish this.

John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks