Sand under new tub install??

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by 01sesedan, Apr 8, 2009.

1. 01sesedan

01sesedan Member

Removed the old tub and underneath it had a layer for sand. Lot's of sand and the tub was resting on it.

I'm planning on installing an AS Americast tub and was wondering if I would have to add sand again or just place it in it's location with nothing below it?

Do you think the Americast tub is good? If not, which would you recommend.

Just looking for some feedback.

Thanks in advance.

Joe
  2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

The sand was a poor attempt at bedding the tub.

The americast tub requires no bedding and in fact your warrantee wil be voided if you do bed the tub.

It will cause the layers to delaminate.
  3. 01sesedan

01sesedan Member

Thanks. Good to know we could just drop it in place...
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

tub

The tubs I have seen with sand under them it was because of ants or gophers digging through the ground and coming up under the tub.
  5. 01sesedan

01sesedan Member

Good to know.. But there were no ants. The tub was on top of it. The tub was resting on it.