San tee's

Users who are viewing this thread

Steelers Fan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Went to plumbing code class tonight and were talking about san tee's among many, many other things and as I understand the book and talking with local inspector here ( under IPC) there are only two positions in which they're legal .1: from horizontal to vertical looking down for drainage and 2: horizontal to vertical looking up for vent. But the instructor was saying for venting they can be laid on their back or on their side. Is this right possibly only for dry venting? Certainly not right for any wet venting?

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
2: horizontal to vertical looking up for vent.But the instructor was saying for venting they can be laid on their back or on their side.Is this right possibly only for dry venting? Certainly not right for any wet venting?
You are correct. Always been in the code book that I have followed

tlarson

Reaction score
They are allowed here in Oregon laying on their back with the side connection pointing up for vents. In Washington the inspectors I've dealt with require a combo or wye/45.

abs_wye_combo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Steelers Fan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Same here as far as I know if its on its back whether drainage or vent it should be a combo, I may be wrong but I prefer to err on the side of caution when dealing with picky inspectors. Saves me a lot of headache:D or a long sweep

Last edited:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You can lay it on it's side provided the outlet rises vertical and does not receive the discharge from any fixtures above.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tee

IF the code says that ANY fitting below the floor rim of the fixture has to be treated as if it were a drain, then a sanitary tee could NOT be used in any horizontal line, regardless of the direction it faces. Whether the tee can be used as a vent depends on the wording of the code, and the leniency of the inspector. Here, it would not be permitted. But as far as the proper location for a tee, it can also be used in a line traveling on a bias, not just in vertical lines.

abs_wye_combo.jpg

In Washington State, UPC code, the wye or combo on it's back can be used for venting but not the santee. This has changed over the years. HJ is correct.
Added by Terry Love

Last edited by a moderator:

Jc60618

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
In Chicago we can lay sanitary tees on there back when venting fixtures. When doing suspended cast iron and picking up toilets we usually vent it with a 4x2 tapped vent tee.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks