Rusted/broken threads

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by hudsonmudson, Nov 19, 2009.

1. hudsonmudson

hudsonmudson New Member

I am remodeling our kitchen. When I removed the drain pipe extending from the wall, I came upon rusted/non-existent threads extending out of an elbow fitting. The fitting is in a cinder block wall, so there is not room to rotate the elbow off and replace. The threads on the top are ok -- on the bottom only there is only about 1 cm left. Any advice on how to fix simply and effectively (if possible) would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

drain

Unscrew that piece of pipe, or have a plumber carefully cut it out of the fitting and insert a new pipe.
  3. Doherty Plumbing

Doherty Plumbing Journeyman & Gas Fitter

I would use heat to expand the fitting so the nipple will come out easier. Hopefully it doesn't crush or break when you try and remove it!
  4. hudsonmudson

hudsonmudson New Member

Thanks for the answers. Besides heating to make it come out easier, what is the best way to remove the pipe w/o damaging the threads of the female elbow?
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

elbow

That is a cast iron elbow so the threads are pretty durable. Careful application of a hammer and small caping cold chisel will remove it. The keyword is "careful" which is why I recommended that a plumber, who has done it before, do it. From the looks of it, I think I could remove it in about 2 minutes, but that is because I have the right tools and know how to use them.
  6. Cass

Cass Plumber

I would cut the peice of pipe heading left and install a banded coupling with a new PVC 90 because you already have the wall open...​
  7. hudsonmudson

hudsonmudson New Member

It's out.

Thanks for the advice. It ended up being much easier than I thought. I sprayed some PB Blaster and let it soak for a bit. Then I took some vice-grips and managed to work it loose without much trouble at all. The inside threads are fine.