Rust spots on new Kohler Memiors cast iron tub

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by jzzz, Mar 5, 2009.

1. jzzz

jzzz New Member

I just had this brand new Kohler Memiors cast iron tub, white color, installed about a month ago. Before installation, my plumber and I had inspected the tub very closely and did not see any problem. But now I noticed many rust spots on the base of the tub, about 10 to 15 needle size rust spots scattered around the base. The side wall of the tub seems to be fine since they are smooth finish, where as the base finish are sanded with design to protect you from slipping. You will not notice the tiny rust spot unless you inspect the tub very closely.

I had tried to scrape them with my fingernail but they would not come off. It looks like the rust is coming out from the cast iron and showing up on the surface of the porcelain enamel. I am suspecting poor quality finish by Kohler?

I am just curious to know if this problem is typical for cast iron tub?
    Will the rust gets worst and becomes more obvious?
    Is there a way to fix the problem without replacing the tub?

Thanks for any advice.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Kohler's (lack of) quality control strikes again. They'll probably replace the tub for free, but not pay anything towards all the stuff you'll have to redo to do it.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

rust

The bottom has a nonskid finish, so if you got ANY steel, such as SOS steel wool pads, in the grain it will rust. It could be a defective finish, but I doubt it.
  4. isnt that a jab....

you could try takeing a small amount of muratic acid
    and see if the spots just come out...

that is a very bid sign of what is to come..

you should jump and down asap about it...

the bad thing is the plumber will be the fellow
    left holding the bag cause Kohler will screw him out
    of his normal labor rate by 75%
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

acid

NEVER use muriatic acid on an enameled cast iron fixture. It works on china, but will damage cast iron.
  6. Leomoon

Leomoon New Member

I have the same problem with a cast iron kohler tub, several pin size rust stains. Was a kohler sales rep notified of this problem and if so what was the outcome.
  7. HTP

HTP New Member

Same problem with pin size rust marks. A Villager cast iron tub was installed a few months ago before anything else in our new guest bathroom. ( Our remodel has been going on a year.) The tub has been used 2 times and cleaned very carefully with soft rags and a couple of drops of a very mild cleaning product, Shaklee's Basic H. Today I noticed the marks. I am sick. I will contact Kohler but I am very interested to know what others have experienced. Please help.