Running Flushometer Toilet

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by mcali2330, Nov 3, 2009.

1. mcali2330

mcali2330 New Member

I have been having a problem with the upstairs neighbor where water comes leaking down into my Apartment. She says that her toilet flushes by itself and ends up over over-flowing... before it happens i can hear the toilet upstairs running for an abnormally long time. Can this really be the problem? or is she not telling me something?
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

toilet

Flushometer toilets CANNOT flush by themselves, but they can take a long time to turn off if the valve needs servicing.
  3. Cass

Cass Plumber

A running toilet should not cause it to overflow unless there is another problem with the waste line or toilet its self...a partial clog or something on that order...

Like hj said if it is running the valve need new parts...
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

If the toilet overflows, then there is a clog. If the leak is coming from under the toilet, then the wax ring has failed. That is not to say the valve does not need servicing as well, but a faulty valve would not shut water off, but the water would just go down the drain. Your neighbor needs a plumber.