RPZ valve ... never heard of it until today

Discussion in 'Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum' started by snakes, May 10, 2013.

1. snakes

snakes New Member

Today I was inquiring about irrigation parts and somebody on the east coast asked about my RPZ valve. I've never heard of an RPZ valve out here in California.

I've been a DIY type for years, and have helped lots of friends and relatives with their houses as well, and I just haven't seen anything like what is pictured here at a residence:
    http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Reduced-Pressure-Zone-Assemblies-s/8412.htm

We do have vacuum breakers on our hose bibs with a set screw, and our automatic sprinkler valves have anti-siphon devices (usually plastic), but that's all I've ever seen or worked on. Am I just oblivious or are these fancy RPZ devices not required in California?
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

The RPZ BFP can be installed in the incoming water line and be located in a control box beneath the surface. I do not know what California's requirements are, but from what I know about the state's concern about environmental issues, I would be surprised if they are not required along with annual certification of performance.
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

In CA, all commercial buildings ( apts, condos, etc) must have all water supplies protected by an RPZ valve. SIngle family homes have somewhat less resrictive requirements at this time . Domestic water ( the house) must have bibbs, pull out kitchen spouts, RO filter drains, hand held showers, , dishwasher drains, etc. protected by an approved backflow device. Sprinkler systems move up the scale to anti-siphon valves or pressure vacuum breakers. I would not be surprised to see RPZ creep into the code soon enough.