Rough plumbing for new construction...

Users who are viewing this thread

AudreyW

Reaction score
Hi all, I've been searching and searching for some insight, and haven't come up with a conclusive answer. I tried calling my local inspector, but he was less than helpful. I'm getting ready for a rough inspection, and I'm trying to keep all my plumbing within the floor joists over what will be a finished basement. My plan to vent the tub/shower and the freestanding tub is to have a 2" vent after both of them. Then it ties in with the toilet drain. I originally thought I'd give that toilet its own vent, but I'm out of space. Can the 2" vent for the bathtubs work as a wet vent for the toilet as well? I've circled it in blue. When I tried to ask the inspector I got as far as having a vent after two tubs and he interrupted to say I could vent them with a vent between the two. I didn't even get a chance to ask about the toilet. Now I'm concerned my whole plan is messed up. Any advice? I'm in Michigan for what it's worth. Thanks!
plumbing plan.JPG

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The toilet can be wet vented by the tub vent but it does appear that the tub on the outside wall may be too far from the lav to wet vent through it.

AudreyW

Reaction score
The toilet can be wet vented by the tub vent but it does appear that the tub on the outside wall may be too far from the lav to wet vent through it.

Thanks for the reply! I've spent all day researching, trying to do this right, and I think I'm getting closer. What if I move the tub vent upstream, between the two tubs so that the bottom tub is wet vented by the top? Then the toilet would be wet vented by the bottom sink, right? I don't see an easy way to get around the shower and other toilet each having their own vent, but I have room for them, so I'm not too worried about it.

bill78

Reaction score
Hi all, I've been searching and searching for some insight, and haven't come up with a conclusive answer. I tried calling my local inspector, but he was less than helpful. I'm getting ready for a rough inspection, and I'm trying to keep all my plumbing within the floor joists over what will be a finished basement. My plan to vent the tub/shower and the freestanding tub is to have a 2" vent after both of them. Then it ties in with the toilet drain. I originally thought I'd give that toilet its own vent, but I'm out of space. Can the 2" vent for the bathtubs work as a wet vent for the toilet as well? I've circled it in blue. When I tried to ask the inspector I got as far as having a vent after two tubs and he interrupted to say I could vent them with a vent between the two. I didn't even get a chance to ask about the toilet. Now I'm concerned my whole plan is messed up. Any advice? I'm in Michigan for what it's worth. Thanks!View attachment 31572
It looks good to me and makes sense. There is a maximum distance from trap to vent in the plumbing code. Hollywood Fl Plumbing

Last edited:

AudreyW

Reaction score
Thanks, Bill. I have the toilet going the other direction because the 2" line for the tubs is tucked up in the floor joists over a finished basement. I don't think I'll have room for 3" fittings in there, so I have the toilet draining the other way where I can drop it down below the joists in the unfinished area. I'll give it a try today though, maybe I'll be surprised. And yes, I'm aware of the distance rule. My first mistake was in thinking the two tubs could share a vent after both of them. But I think if I move the vent up between the tubs, I'm ok. Then both that vent as well as the sink vent are within 8'. Or am I missing something?

AudreyW

Reaction score
:) I think I'm glad to hear that.... If there's some other reason I might not be able to do it? I have all the fittings laid out and it all looks like it'll fit. I appreciate your taking the time to look and consider. Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks