Rough in/venting advice

Users who are viewing this thread

summilux

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a 60 year old bathroom that was remodelled almost 40 years ago. I have gutted the room to joists/studs. The existing plumbing is shown here. One thing that I really dislike about the current layout is that the 3" cast vent makes two 90 degree turns above the finish floor. The joists are 2x8 so I guess they didn't want to make to drill through them.
https://terrylove.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4419&stc=1&d=1210263793

Does Plan #1 look OK?
https://terrylove.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4420&stc=1&d=1210263793

To get rid of the 3" turns, I thought about reducing the diameter of the vent to 2" (Plan #2). This means that I can route it through the floor joists. Is this OK? Moving the stack is not possible right now. The budget is tight and there isn't room to put roof work in.
https://terrylove.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4421&stc=1&d=1210263793

Thanks
Jonathan

Attachments

• Slide1.jpg
    Slide1.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 493
  • Slide2.jpg
    Slide2.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 483
  • Slide3.jpg
    Slide3.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 478

summilux

Reaction score
Anyone??

If this is really out of whack, I'd really appreciate the criticisim.

Thanks

Jonathan

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drains

I cannot imagine how they could have installed the piping the way your original drawing shows it. Neither of the other ones will work because the vent is going horizontal right out of the toilet connection, and I doubt that you will be able to set the toilet on top of the pipe and still use a proper connection.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Plan #1

The shower connection to the stack needs to be connected downstream of the toilet
or
leave it as is and dry vent the toilet.

Plan #2

Unless you have another main stack that is minimum 3" in diametre in its entirety , starts in the basement and terminates above the roof, you cannot reduce that part of the stack to 2"

summilux

Reaction score
Oh boy, this is what i was afraid of. The original plumbing is really, really crappy. I don't know what codes were like in the 50s, but they sure aren't what they are now.

Thanks for your input. Time to call a plumber and see what we can do.

Jonathan

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
says who?

The shower connection to the stack needs to be connected downstream of the toilet

It can connect anywhere he want to, as long as venting is proper.

Plan #2

Unless you have another main stack that is minimum 3" in diametre in its entirety , starts in the basement and terminates above the roof, you cannot reduce that part of the stack to 2"

That must be a new requirement because almost every house ever built, except in those areas that require one full sized vent, (and they are getting fewer and fewer as the standard codes are adopted), has the pipe size reduced for the vent.
progress.gif

summilux

Reaction score
OK,

After some head scratching, I decided to move the stack from the outside wall to the interior. Here's the latest plan. Feedback/criticism welcomed.

Should I put a cleanout in? I have easy access to the attic so I could put a fitting in where the 1.5 vent turns toward the 3".

Thanks

JOnathan

Attachments

• Slide4.jpg
    Slide4.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 231
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks