Rough-In Valve Install

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Dogman, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Dogman

Dogman New Member

My first post here:

Installing a new 4 port shower rough in a remodel walk-in and it's been about five years since I did one of these. The rough has threaded 1/2" female ports - what is the best way to plumb to the rough with copper? Since the female ports require a threaded male fitting which I assume calls for teflon tape, how do I sweat the fittings from there to the cut-offs without potentially melting the teflon? I thought that using four compression fittings (one for each port) might be the answer, but it seems like that is a lot of joints i:e potential leaks.

Is there a simple solution I'm overlooking....??

Relatively Handy Amatuer
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

No compression.

Now, did the teflon on your frying pan ever melt?

It is OK to solder a fitting which is taped or doped and threaded. However, we often look for a method to not solder directly on it. It is often possible to sweat a street elbow and/or short pieces of pipe to the male adapter first, then screw it into the body. This makes the first joint you have to sweat some distance away from the taped joint.
  3. Dogman

Dogman New Member

alternative

excellent - never imagined that that thin white plumbers tape wouldn't melt!

What's the opinion on using cpvc instead of copper?