Roots - slow drain and will back up (Slab Floor)

Users who are viewing this thread

cody21

Reaction score
I need some advice - a bath room that gets little use has suddenly started backing up. The dreaded "gurgle" in the toilet and then the shower backs up. We hired a Plumbing service to try to clear the drain - he spent an hour running his snake through it and at one point after it 'snagged' in a section probably 60 feet in, he pulled it out and it had a very tiny root on it (4 inches long and probably 1/16" in diameter). he prompty said "Roots". Then continued to work the snake back and forth until he could not get any further. (My initial suspicion based on the sound of the snake under our patio was that he hit a "joint" where that line joined the drain under another shower in the house). He used a 'cutter blade' that was probably 2" long - and it was the only cutter blade he used.

So after all that (and $125 later), he said there was nothing more he could do - that a video of the drain would likely be our next best option, or possibly calling RotoRooter and have them 'pressure blast' it out. (after calling them, they do not do this "pressure blast" for residential places - but they say they are "experts" at clearing Tree roots and guarantee it.)

ugh ... what a mess. This is a SLAB floor (ranch house) and would require jackhammering it all up the presumed "defect" in the pipe. Are there any advances in the technoliogy that allows for inserting or replacing drain pipe under slab flooring? What would YOU professionals do in this situation? Just call RotoRooter - or someone else - that has the larger Root Cutters and clear the roots every 1-2 years? I can only imagine that actually replacing drain segments will get very very expensive .. (and what's interesting about this is this particular seciton of drain is only about 15 years old - vs the main drain in thge rest of the house).

Thanks in advance

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I would look for a professional licensed plumber do the camera inspection so that you and he can see exactly what the problem is.

We cannot tell from your description if he was trying to clear a branch, or the main line. What size cutter should be used is based on the size of the pipe, and the line should be rodded and inspected all the way to the street or septic connection.

Many "roto-rooter" type franchises are not licensed plumbers, and many are inexperienced at drain cleaning, much less plumbing.

It is quite possible that you have 1 bad joint in the pipe, and that the slab could be cut, pipe repaired, and all is good with minimal downtime. The truth will never be known unless a good inspection is done.

cody21

Reaction score
OK .. thanks ... we'll go the Camera Inspection route first - rather than spend another $160 on yet another attempt to snake ... Now just to find a reputable company ... Yelp is my friend.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cacher_chick
Many "roto-rooter" type franchises are not licensed plumbers, and many are inexperienced at drain cleaning, much less plumbing,

While it is true most but not all drain cleaning company's are not licensed plumbers,
BUT THEY ARE NOT REQUIRED TO BE IN CALIF,
AND MOST IF NOT ALL KNOW A LOT MORE ABOUT SNAKING YOUR DRAINS THEN MOST
"LICENSED" PLUMBERS

That is why you still have a problem because a Licensed Plumber used too small of a snake and did not
clear the drain properly !

Last edited by a moderator:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Thanks for that info Jerry. Where I am anyone can start a drain cleaning business, and then they often do drain repairs that are very shoddy.

I guess my next question would be- is there a minimum standard of education or training which they have to meet in California, or can anyone buy a license and it's really just about the money?

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
In Calif,Washington,Idaho,Utah, all states that I have plumbed in the only requirement is a business license, and liability insurance is good but not
required, but I have known and worked with many drain people and they all
take drain cleaning very seriously !

And are definitely not hacks about it !

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks