Roots in Sump

Discussion in 'Drain Cleaning' started by steve_results, Feb 12, 2010.

1. steve_results

steve_results Quality Engineer

I have 2 sump pits with pumps Both are cement sump pits with 2 drain pipes leading into it.One of the sump pits has tree root coming out of it. How do I get rid of the roots? My 1st thought is to use some chemicals for the roots. My 2nd is to have it snaked out with cutter blades. Short of digging out the drain tiles, what would be best?
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

1. You DO NOT get rid of the root. Even cutting down the tree will not get rid of the root for the next 25 years or so.
    2. Chemicals will retard its growth, if you can get them to the source of the root.
    3. Most drain tile is not amenable to snaking because it is usually segmented therefore the joints are not aligned smoothly.
  3. steve_results

steve_results Quality Engineer

hj - Thanks for the reply. What's suggested to improve the flow through the drain tile?
  4. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

Seems to be a problem with no easy solution. Some places will dig up the drain tile at opposing corners of the building and hydro-jet the lines.