Room Temperature Offset

Discussion in 'HVAC Heating & Cooling' started by rtorrez, May 25, 2008.

1. rtorrez

rtorrez New Member

What does it mean to offset your thermostat? Is there a way to set the AC for a certain temperature and then for it to come back on after the temperature of the room has increased say 2 or 3 degrees higher?
  2. leejosepho

leejosepho DIY scratch-pad engineer

I have just done some searching, and the only info I can find on "offset" has to do with calibrating (correcting?) the display by up to +/-7 degrees.

Thermostats typically have anticipators for that kind of purpose, and that function can be adjustable. I believe one of mine allows for selection between a broad range and a narrow one.
  3. Chris75

Chris75 Electrician

I would call that a differential, not an offset, but most t-stats have the option to set this differential from .5 to 3 or more degrees. Most newer programmable T-stat will have these options.