Rolling a horizontal wye

Users who are viewing this thread

George R

Reaction score
Short question first, then the longer explanation. Is it permissable to roll a wye less than 45 degrees off of horizontal (say 22.5 degrees)?

I'm roughing out plans for installing a new 1/2 bath. Just a toilet and a sink. The height in the joist bay of the 3" toilet drain is fixed (and high up in the cavity) because of a main beam. If I roll a 3x3x1 1/2 wye (for the sink drain) at a 45 degree angle it puts the 1.5 in. drain line higher than the floor. If I roll it only 22.5, I can get the 1/4 in/ft fall I need from the sink to the wye.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
George R said:
Short question first, then the longer explanation. Is it permissable to roll a wye less than 45 degrees off of horizontal (say 22.5 degrees)?

I'm roughing out plans for installing a new 1/2 bath. Just a toilet and a sink. The height in the joist bay of the 3" toilet drain is fixed (and high up in the cavity) because of a main beam. If I roll a 3x3x1 1/2 wye (for the sink drain) at a 45 degree angle it puts the 1.5 in. drain line higher than the floor. If I roll it only 22.5, I can get the 1/4 in/ft fall I need from the sink to the wye.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

The wye doesn't need to be rolled at all if it is a drain. Vents need to be rolled so that the invert is above the flow line.

speedball1

Retired plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.askme.com
winslow said:
The wye doesn't need to be rolled at all if it is a drain. Vents need to be rolled so that the invert is above the flow line.

I'm with Winslow. The wye doesn't hafta be rolled to pick up the lav but I would increase to a 3X3X2" wye and bring my stubout out of 2X2X1 1/2" sanitary tee. Good luck Tom

George R

Reaction score
Thanks guys for all of the responses. That's good news. Speedball if I may trouble you for one more response. Why the 2x2x1.5 santee? Just trying to learn something along the way. Thanks.

speedball1

Retired plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.askme.com
George R said:
Thanks guys for all of the responses. That's good news. Speedball if I may trouble you for one more response. Why the 2x2x1.5 santee? Just trying to learn something along the way. Thanks.

So you will have a 2" drain and vent and you will stubout to pick up the lav with a 1 1/2" trap With a nylon gasket sized down to pick up the lav tailpiece. I advised you to increase the drain to 2" because of all the hair and grease that will be going down the drain with use. In my area (Tampa Bay) we never use 1 1/2" for drainage lines or vents. Regards, Tom

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks