Rinnai fog horn

Users who are viewing this thread

jharmon00

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a strange issue with my Rinnai RL94iN tankless water heater I had installed about 5 years ago. It runs fine, provides hot water and runs quietly - in fact we love it and have loved it for years.

But now there's this thing - it'll be working fine until I turn *OFF* the hot water. At that time I get a loud fog horn sound reverberating through the house.

To make things even more curious - it appears to coincide with the weather turning cooler - i.e., it is dead quiet all Summer. In fact, it was doing this noise for the first time last Winter and then stopped as soon as we had our first real heat spell (California central valley). I was hoping the problem just "went away" - but sadly not. Just today it's started doing it again with full vigor - interestingly, just as the temps have come down. To add to the mystery, this noise will emanate now sporadically with or without turning on the tap. In fact, since the first episode early this morning, it has blown it's horn maybe 10 times today and is driving me and my wife nuts!

Any clues? Do I need to replace it?

Thanks a lot for any insights!
Jim

AK Sharples

Reaction score
Is there any resolution on this? I have the foghorn sound as well, from my Rinnai tankless. I have had a plumber out to inspect and this seems to be similar to burning money. They don't know what the problem is and charge just to come look. They also tinker around and charge for that, too, so in the long run, replacing the unit would probably be a better cost.

I descaled twice. Once for 45 mins and again for 2 hours. The sound used to seem like it came at night when the air cooled, but now it comes whenever. Definitely more likely to happen after running water, but now seems like it happens randomly. I have a recirculating pump attached.

Suggestions?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks