Right hand installation?

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by barryw, Apr 14, 2007.

1. barryw

barryw New Member

This question probably has an obvious answer, but I don't know it.
    I am looking at bath tubs, what is the difference between right and left hand installation?
    Thanks,

Barry
  2. markts30

markts30 Commercial Plumber

When standing in the bathroom and facing the tub, are the faucet and shower controls on the right or the left....
  3. barryw

barryw New Member

As I look at the tub, the fixtures are on the left.
  4. TedL

TedL New Member

While they should always be the same, it's actually the drain location, not the fill, because the drain is part of the tub.
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Then, you have a left-handed tub...

A drop-in tub often is symetrical, it doesn't matter if you rotate it 180. But, throw in a tile flange or an apron, and it becomes very important. It's the same story with pre-hung doors, knowing whether it is a left-hand or right-hand door makes a big difference.
  6. drain, apron, flanges - not symmetrical

if there is an apron, or skirt, (visible front part of tub in an alcove and in some podiums), then it's crucial to know whether the drain is on the far left or far right. Also crucial is how many sides to add the tiling flange to. You can have tiling flange anywhere, and although you can add it yourself on site it is usually factory-installed if you know what you need when you order the tub.

Faucets (supply plumbing) are usually right above the drain.