1. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

Need to install new power vent at a cost of 600.00 plus for just W/H.Iremember W/H costing 150.00 then install @ 150.00 WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED?
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  2. Cass

Cass Plumber

The price of steel went way up.

Scrap steel was 10-$15.00/ton when those prices were around.

Scrap steel is $150.00/ton now, and that is down frm over $200.00/ton not to long ago.
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Well, when I first got my drivers license, gas was 22 cents over at the Jenny Station!

All kidding aside, things have gone up. And besides general inflation, gas water heaters took a substantial jump as of July 1, 2003 when the government mandated FVIR ( flammable vapor ignition resistance ) spec took effect.

By the way, in case no one noticed, that spec expands on Jan 1, 2008 to cover commercial gas up to 99,000 BTU. The common 75 gal/75K btu are going up over over 25% from what I have heard. In another year or two, it will apply to all commercial.

Oh, and if that't not enough, the same commercial as I mentioned will now be subject to California's "low Nox" laws, so that is another price jump!
  4. Cass

Cass Plumber

Thanks jimbo, I was unaware of the Jan.1 date.

25% is a hefty jump.
  5. Power vent water heaters

A brad white 50 gallon now cost me $700 plus tax...

the reason is that they just upgraded to the new FVIR style to make the government happy...they did cost only

$519 for the older models just back in arpil.....

it is totally a stupid decision to upgrade the power vent
    spark ignition type water heater .....but that is what
    the government wants.