Rheem Tankless Water Heater Leak *UPDATE*

Users who are viewing this thread

Smatz

Reaction score
I have a Rheem CRTGH-95DVLN natural gas tankless water heater. I found a leak on the copper pipe leading into the heat exchanger (unsure if that is the correct terminology) The leak is specifically at the external copper pipe outside the exchanger and what looks to be a temperature sensor.
I used a needle to locate the small hole, when I pushed lightly on it, it produced a larger hole (see attached pic).

I'm assuming this could not be repaired and a entire exchanger would have to be replaced? If so, is it worth doing that? Also is there a part number for that component?

IMG_1339.JPEG
IMG_1340.JPEG

Attachments

• Hole.jpeg
    Hole.jpeg
    45.3 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Copper is somewhat easy to repair for a pro, but I've never been involved in something like that.
Could you use a brass or SS screw with teflon tape?
How old is your unit? Heat exchangers had been 15 yrs for warranty parts coverage.

Smatz

Reaction score
Copper is somewhat easy to repair for a pro, but I've never been involved in something like that.
Could you use a brass or SS screw with teflon tape?
How old is your unit? Heat exchangers had been 15 yrs for warranty parts coverage.
I ended up deciding to purchase new. Until it get's installed, I soldered the hole, fingers crossed it'll be fine until next week.
This unit was installed in 2015, my local plumber claims these are only good for 10 years in our area.

Interesting the Warranty is 15 years. I'm in Canada, I hade seen a Rheem page that said 12 yrs for Prestige models but the catch said it had to be registered within 60 days of purchase?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks