Rheem Powervent 2 pilot flame question.

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by lwerdmann, May 29, 2010.

1. lwerdmann

lwerdmann New Member

I'll start with the initial problem, no hot water. I went to the water heater, Rheem Powervent 2 on LP gas, opened the access panel to the spark ignitor/pilot assembly to see what was happening. I turned off the power to the unit and when I flipped it on I heard the ignitor start popping like normal. It took it a couple of times of shutting off power but it finally fired up.

Now the question. When it ignited I noticed that there is a small flame burning back down over the nut and partially onto the pilot gas inlet tube. It looks like it's been doing this for some time do to soot buildup around the nut and onto the assembly. I guess my question is, should I be concerned about the flame coming back down over the nut and slightly onto the pilot gas inlet tube? Is it something that could eventually "burn through" the line? Thanks in advance for the help.
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Yes to both questions. Repair the leak, usually by tightening the compression nut.