Reverse Osmosis ( Aquasana)

Users who are viewing this thread

Tom26

Reaction score
Hello, i just recently ordered the Aquasana reverse osmosis system, https://www.aquasana.com/under-sink...osis-claryum/oil-rubbed-bronze-100236728.html
I’ve been doing research and I haven’t found any common recommendations here. Anyone have a better recommendation?

A couple of concerns, leaks and more leaks is a common theme with this reverse osmosis. I was doing research and found recommendations on using a drain adapter instead of the saddle connection. Anyone have thoughts?

I am also concerned with running it for 24 hours for initial setup, I am assuming it will be quite a bit of water wasted and I am metered.

Overall I am concerned with the leaks. I don’t want to wake up and have my cabinets or floor ruined. Also, my parents had a reverse osmosis and the tank exploded and water flooded the area.. I am extremely nervous.

I was tempted to run it to the refrigerator, but I do not see an easy path. It would have to go through several cabinets then pantry and some how drilled through the pantry , which you’ll see the tube unless I cut a hole and go through the stud which isn’t feasible..

I appreciate any assistance.. currently I do not have any auto shut off, I was looking into purchasing flo by moen when I get a water softener and do everything together.

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score
go through the cabinet floor into the basement then back up through the floor behind the fridge. just install it in the basement if your that worried about leaks. they make cheap leak detectors as well.

Tom26

Reaction score
go through the cabinet floor into the basement then back up through the floor behind the fridge. just install it in the basement if your that worried about leaks. they make cheap leak detectors as well.

I am on a slab, that’s not an option.

How is this reverse osmosis, is there a better one?

Also should I use a drain adapter instead?

Tom26

Reaction score
O
We have many better recommendations. Cheap online RO's should be avoided.
Ok, and these recommendations are? I also sent you a dm the other day about recommendations for purchasing the fleck 5810, I still haven’t received a response.

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am on a slab, that’s not an option.

How is this reverse osmosis, is there a better one?

Also should I use a drain adapter instead?
then the back of the cabinets is your only option. I don't have experience with that particular unit, but it appears to be nsf certified, which is what you want. a drain saddle works fine.

Last edited:

Tom26

Reaction score
then the back of the cabinets is your only option. I don't have experience with that particular unit, but it appears to be nsf certified, which is what you want. a drain saddle works fine. ispring makes a leak shutoff that screws to the bottom of the cabinet and it's cheap insurance.

thank you, I’ll look into the shutoff.

Paul J Burkhardt

Reaction score
You may want to reconsider buying this reverse osmosis system. It is NOT as much of a bargain as it looks. I looked at the replacement filters which they recommend changing every 6 months at the cost of $64.99 and membrane for the system which they want you to change every 6 months for the cost of $59.99 and the "Remineralizer" cartridge that they tell you to change every 12 months at the cost of $29.99.

That's $154.97 per year and you can only use the filters and membrane that they sell for their system.

You can get a reverse osmosis system that will use filters that may cost as little as about $80 a year and has filter housings that are much less likely to leak for about $225 - $300. Take a look at a Tier1, Apec, or ispring RO if you're looking for an RO in that price range.

The leaking issue is probably due to the design of the filters. A reverse osmosis system that uses a standard type filter housing will have a much less chance of leaking from the filter housings because of the way the Oring seals the housing.
Filter-Housing-Oring-2.jpg

This is not a reverse osmosis housing, but many reverse osmosis system housings use the same design.

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score
You may want to reconsider buying this reverse osmosis system. It is NOT as much of a bargain as it looks. I looked at the replacement filters which they recommend changing every 6 months at the cost of $64.99 and membrane for the system which they want you to change every 6 months for the cost of $59.99 and the "Remineralizer" cartridge that they tell you to change every 12 months at the cost of $29.99.

That's $154.97 per year and you can only use the filters and membrane that they sell for their system.

You can get a reverse osmosis system that will use filters that may cost as little as about $80 a year and has filter housings that are much less likely to leak for about $225 - $300. Take a look at a Tier1, Apec, or ispring RO if you're looking for an RO in that price range.

The leaking issue is probably due to the design of the filters. A reverse osmosis system that uses a standard type filter housing will have a much less chance of leaking from the filter housings because of the way the Oring seals the housing.
Filter-Housing-Oring-2.jpg

This is not a reverse osmosis housing, but many reverse osmosis system housings use the same design.
RO filters only need to be changed yearly providing the water feeding the system is relatively chlorine free. The membrane only needs changing when the treated TDS goes below 80% reduction, which could be up to 5 yrs. The system should be sanitized yearly however.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The filter housings are a major problem over time. Two of the major Chinese companies just stopped selling filter housings in the US due to the plethora of lawsuits. Sticking with reputable manufacturers and companies with real product lines and a US presence is critical. Anyone who has worked in this industry for more than ten years remembers all the filter housings blowing up all over the country causing many millions of dollars in damage due to lousy manufacturing. Stick with filter housing by Pentek, Atlas Filtri or other major well know companies and your problems will reduce dramatically. Most of the online companies are so desperate to be the cheapest that they will use cheap fittings, cheap housings, cheap tubing etc...

Tom26

Reaction score
The reason I went with aquasana was due to their certifications and it was the recommended water filter by wire cutter, although they didn’t test reverse osmosis.

I received the system, but still haven’t installed it yet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks