Retrofit Recessed lights with LED

Users who are viewing this thread

Rmk9785e

Reaction score
I am trying to install the new FEIT 6" LED retrofit LED light into my recessed light can/housing however its slanted shape doesn't allow the light to stay up there. The existing can/housing is installed on a plate with brackets securing it to the 2x4s in the ceiling. I am wondering if a cylinder shaped retrofit housing could be available that can replace the cone shaped housing and fit in its 6-7/8" opening.
I understand that we'll need Air Tight IC rated cans to provide Fire Rating Continuity. Ideas and advice are much appreciated.
Recessed Light Fixture.jpg
fixture 2.jpg
LED Light.jpg

Last edited:

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
From your description, it's hard to tell what your problem is. I did run into a situation a few years back where the curly-cue fluorescent bulbs bottomed out before making contact in the socket. I pulled the sockets down and modified them slightly and made it work, but it was a one-time thing and it's been a while. And, I'm not sure if it relates to your issue at all. Could have been some sheet metal tools involved.

Rmk9785e

Reaction score
My issue is that the LED retrofit kit doesn't stay in the cone shaped housing. There is nothing to hold it there so I was looking to replace my housing with something like this. I have since learned that our city code is not amenable to such retrofits. It says "LED lighting assemblies shall be listed and CEC approved. LED light components are not allowed to be used with HALO or other housing/cans."
I would have to be content with just using LED light bulbs that fit in the existing housing.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If the existing cans are as accessible as the one in your photo, I would not hesitate to return the retrofit lights and replace the entire units with new recessed LED cans.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks