restaurant grease trap install?

Users who are viewing this thread

james1967

Reaction score
good evening everyone, i was hoping for some advise on grease trap installation. i currently have a 3 compartment sink in which all sinks drain in to a floor drain in which is connected to a grease trap on a lower level. I need to relocate a new trap at the sink (source). I have a few questions here, first when the old trap is removed can i simply tie the 2 lines together, next i have enclosed a picture of the sink and if you notice that all 3 sinks are plumbed over to a floor drain and just drain from mid air to the floor? something just doesn't seem right lol. when i install the grease trap, doesn't the trap need to be tied into the floor conduit? i mean surely it cant just dump out of a grease trap, can it?. Now for the traps, vents, flow control ect. most of the grease traps i have been looking at claim to have flow control,and vents built in to them. Does this mean there is no need for them? I am by no means a plumber but i do build under ground pipe systems, i am very well rounded and confident this is a simple job, just never done it before................... any help would be greatly appreciated thanks, James

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 45,398
Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is an "indirect connection", and usually only needed for a "food preparation" sink, but can be used for others. As far as the trap, I am not sure what you mean by "tie the two ends together", because a trap does not usually have "two ends" on the same plane.

Last edited:

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
The sink cannot be directly tied to the sanitary system. The "drain from midair to floor" is a required air gap in case the sanitary system backs up. The reasoning behind this is if you are using the sink to clean dishes or vegetables, stop to do something else and meanwhile the sanitary system backs up a little into the sink and then drains back down, you would never know the dishes or food is now contaminated.

I usually direct the plumbers to tie the three lines into a single two inch line without traps (like the one that is on the left).

I'm guessing you are putting in an above slab grease trap?

Flow control and the vent for the flow control need to be installed, they are not built in. They are on the drain line to the trap.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Since this is a commercial job you need to call a plumber to install it correctly and have it inspected...by your questions it indicates you have a very limited amount of knowlege, just enough to maybe get people sick...you are dealing with the health of the public...please contact a professional and let them do the work...

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
WE connect a dishwashing sink directly to the grease trap system. Only a food preparation sink has to be indirectly connected.

grease_trap_rough_josam.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks