Replacing undercoating on stainless sink?

Users who are viewing this thread

topshot

Reaction score
We're thinking of keeping the kitchen sink vs getting a new one since it's worked fine for the 15 years we've lived here so far. However, the undercoating is brittle and flakes off in the cabinet. It's cream in color. Where can I find some of this? I'm guessing the undercoating for your car wouldn't be suitable (eg, fumes). Should we just buy a new sink since everything else will be new? One other downside to it is holes are 6" which gives me only 2 options for Delta Diamond Seal faucets in Stainless, neither of which I like.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The coating is sound-deadening and has no other effect on the operation of the sink. You could go to a car stereo place and get some sound-deadening material to glue on. How well it held would depend on what's there now....you may have to scrape off some of what's there to get anything to stick. You might just use some low expansion spray foam that doesn't get brittle, or forget about it entirely. As to the holes, if the faucet you want has a base that would cover the existing holes, you could just cut new ones. Keep in mind that SS is pretty tough stuff. It works best if you use a punch, but a hole-saw will work, but if it's not good quality, may burn some. If the sink cleans up, you could just reuse it. If it is discolored and scratched, you may want to replace it. There are lots of choices. Last I looked, Kindred (made in Canada) had some nice sinks that weren't as pricey, but good quality as some of the more familiar names.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A 6" sink usually means it was either Sears or Montgomery Wards, since they were the most common suppliers of it. You can use ANY single hole faucet with two "blank" covers for the outside holes. A Delta 100 or 400 adapts to 6" openings by relocating the mounting bolts to the "inner" locations.

topshot

Reaction score
Covers are out, but the cheap Delta faucet I had put in years ago does run down through the center hole - will have to see how it's bolted. I had thought of drilling new holes. I like the spray foam idea or maybe just nothing. The noise has never bothered me. I'll check it all out closely once I remove it this week. It seems like the deck around that faucet had a slight warp when I had installed it. I've never noticed discoloration or scratches.

I hadn't realized sinks were so expensive. So then I figured why lay out all that cash when I think I've got a usable stainless already.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The tubes go through the center hole but bolts usually go through the outer ones. The Delta models I referred to have positions for the bolts to install at either 6" or 8", but since you probably do not have the fourth hole for a side sprayer, the #400 would not work.

topshot

Reaction score
The Delta models I referred to have positions for the bolts to install at either 6" or 8", but since you probably do not have the fourth hole for a side sprayer, the #400 would not work.
I do have the 4th sprayer hole, but I'm not finding what you're referring to on the Delta site. All the ones they show that can do either 6 or 8 have soap dispensers, which I don't want, not sprayers. Looks like I need to either drill 8" holes or get a new sink.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks