Replacing spring and neoprene seats

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Jeauix, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Jeauix

Jeauix New Member

We have a problem with a double handle wall shower that would not allow water to go through the shower head. My husband talked with someone who told him to remove the handles and stem. Water came out of the showerhead! However, now he can't get the spring and neoprene seat in. Any advise on how this is done? What tool do you use to push it back? It is a delta stem replacement.
    Thank you for your help!
  2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

I have a neat little tool for that task, but, before I had that tool. I put them on a phillips screwdriver and guided them into position. then pushed them off with my finger tip.

I found the Patent drawing for the tool but nothing else...

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Most of us do not have the patented seat installer/ginzu knife combo! Use somthing thin, like the tip of a pencil, a small screwdriver, etc. to guide them into the hole. Most plumbers can do this without too much trouble. If you have gorilla hands, or just have a little hand-eye coordination deficit, perhaps ask a friend to help you with the re-assembly.
  4. Herk

Herk Plumber

I, too, have often used a pencil, but my usual is small needle-nosed pliers, and just enough room to get my smallest finger into the hole to push it it.

The trick is to not cover the hole in the seal. If you cover the hole you can't compress water underneath. Make sure to use a silicone faucet grease on the seals.
  5. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Hey I didn't run out and pick this tool out...
    I bought a faucet repair kit with zillions of seats,washers, diverters, packings, etc. and it came with it. After 25 years or so of sliding them off scewdrivers or whatever I got this handy dandy tool... It works!