Replacing some polybut with PEX but where to stop?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jechow

Reaction score
I am in the process of getting my hot water tank replaced. I going to pro-actively replace some of the polybutylene piping behind the water tank because it is easily accessible while the tank is out of the way. I noticed on the polybutylene that there are copper connectors. Would it be prudent to replace the PB to a spot where there is an existing copper connector so that the PB-to-PB is replaced with a PEX-to-PB connections? Or should I replace as much PB that is easily accessible (ie: without taking down drywall) to reduce the number of 90 degree connectors to increase the flow of water? I assume that PEX is more flexible than PB.

Thanks.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I would replace up to a point where the transition can be done cleanly and at an easy to access location. I have the PB pipe too and am also replacing it with PEX as the opportunity presents itself. There are PB to PEX copper (nipples) adapters available, or if there is a NPT fitting somewhere where you swap over then that would be the best place. I would not expect that you will see much change in water flow so just do what's easiest. IMO.

As you probably know, the old PB pipe is most susceptible to failure in systems with a lot of chlorine - so if you have high chlorine water, don't want too long to make the swap.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks