Replacing old boiler

Discussion in 'Boiler Forum' started by franjr, Dec 4, 2009.

1. franjr

franjr New Member

Therma Flow 30 gal oil fired lasted a loooong time. Old house/plumbing. Wise to buy a used unit that is 6 years old for $300 or invest in new one for $2100?
  2. rmelo99

rmelo99 Network Engineer

Hmm you say boiler but since you said 30gal makes me think you mean water heater.

I think that 10-15years is the MAX recommended life for most water heaters. Some last much longer, and some much less.

I have never owned and oil fired unit but I do know they are pricier than gas or electric units. I would be hesitant to buy a used one at 6years old. I would prob only consider it if the tank was stainless or something other than steel. Who knows how much life is left in a used tank.
  3. patsfan78

patsfan78 Web Development | HVAC

I think you are talking about a water heater, if so 12-15 years is a very good life for water heater. So if you can spend 300 and get the chance of 6 or so good years, or even just a few years, than it might be worth it. But remember, no warranty, no guarantee to last 6 years, no recourse if something goes wrong.

Do you have to go with an oil water heater or can you go with an indirect??