Replacing my sump pumps before it breaks

Users who are viewing this thread

Paulsiu

Reaction score
I currently have a Hydromatic DA-1 with a watchdog as backup. It works, but one year there was a freak rainstorm that dump a record amount of water in an hour and the pump was unable to keep up. The area has a lot of tree, so I am constantly cleaning the gutter out, but sometimes I failed to get to it before it rains.

The Hydromatic is now over 8 years old. I have heard that they are reliable, but that their switches tend to fail. This makes me nervous because I have a finished basement. The basin is standard size I think. I think the DA-1 is rated at 48 GPM for 10 feet.

While the plumber was doing work on another area, I asked for his opinion. He thought the Hydromatic used to be good but that their quality has fallen and they are having financial problems. He said he used to use a lot of Zoeller but felt that Champion and Liberty are better. He also though that there should be more emphasize on the backup since these flooding may be accompanied by power outages, so the backup should be 60% of the primary and use seal marine batteries because homeowners are bad at keeping the lead acid filled with water, so he thought we should replace the watchdog with something stronger and has a sealed battery.

Do you feel the person is on the level? Should I be looking at a higher flow rate like 70 gpm? Do you often replace the sump pump before they die?

Paul

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks