Replacing Kitchen DWV Under Window

Users who are viewing this thread

ricodontknow

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm getting ready to replace the DWV for my kitchen sink that is under a 38" window and have a few questions about the best way to go about it. I've done some research and have two options but I'd like some opinions on which option would be best and if I'm overlooking something.

Below is a picture of what is there currently. It's 1 1/2" that goes down into the basement and feeds into a larger (2"?) cast iron stack.

plumb1.jpg

My first thought is to just replace the dirty arm, vent etc. with one made of PVC. I would lower the dirty arm from the existing 23" to 16". I'm apprehensive about this because the existing dirty arm was very problematic. Lots of build up because (I think) it was not too much lower than the sinks that drained into it. Below is my planned layout for a new dirty arm. I plan to triple up the stud the arm runs through. I also plan to enter into the wall with a long 90 - sweep, if that is appropriate?

plumb2.jpg

My second thought is to run the drain pipe through the floor and the vent upwards to 42" , 90 to the right, go past the window and up. I also read that with this layout a cleanout is needed in the cabinet and in the basement. Please let me know if I've got the right elbows etc.

plumb3.jpg

I have two further questions:

1) How far through the wall should a stub out protrude?

2) Is it better to have the drain pipe centered under the sink, or to have it offset? Currently it is offset by 10".

I'd really appreciate any opinions as to if I'm on the right path or not. I want to do this the right way, especially knowing it'll be walled in and behind cabinets.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Rico

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks