Replacing door latch mechanism on sliding door

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by julesy, Jun 8, 2011.

1. julesy

julesy New Member

Hi,

I am trying to replace the lock on this sliding door. However, I cannot see anyway to get the existing lock out. I have had the door off its tracks and looked at the top and bottom, but am stumped as to how to remove and replace this lock.

Is it possible that some doors are designed not to have the lock replaced? I find that hard to believe. What could I be missing?

Thanks

IMG_8725small.jpg IMG_8722small.jpg
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

First you remove the handles. There should be some screws on the inside handle
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

You may have to remove that section of the door frame and work on the lock from the inside.
  4. julesy

julesy New Member

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I removed the handles as shown in one of the pics. After seeing no other way to do this, I looked at opening up the door frame, but it seems to have plastic "welded" type joints and I could see no way to get the lock out. I'm stumped.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

A manufacturer would need to have extreme, and misplaced, confidence in the longevity of his latch to make one which could not be replaced. Unfortunately, without seeing it we may not be able to help you, since each manufacturer would have his own method of installing the latch.
  6. Agu

Agu New Member

I see two screws on the end of the door that haven't been removed . I also see grooves above the top screw and below the bottom screw. Seems to me you could remove both screws and the lock mechanism will pull forward and out of the door.

Might just be that simple .....
  7. julesy

julesy New Member

Thanks. I figure out how to do it in the end. It was as Agu suggested, you simply remove the two screws on the end of the door and the lock can squeeze out. As the lock is longer than the hole, I had just assumed, there must be a different way to get it out. Thanks all.