Replacing a fiberglass shower pan, keeping wall tile - possible?

Users who are viewing this thread

kgracey

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm agonizing over how to go about this project. I have a shower where the tile is good but the glass and aluminum are a mess. It's a 1/4 round shape with a fiberglass base. What I'd like to do is replace the base and glass walls (using a kit I got from Home Depot) but keep the tile.

I haven't broken into this yet, but I'm suspecting that the existing fiberglass shower pan has a flange which extends behind the bottom row of the tile. So this really makes me wonder about how to go about it:

- Can I usually cut behind the bottom row of tile to free this flange, or would I need to remove the bottom row of tile?
- Is it possible to remove and replace the tile on the bottom row?
- is a full re-tile job enevitable here?

Thanks all!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
In order to "tilt" it in you have to remove a lot more tile than just the bottom row on the three sides. Probably 36" on the two sides and at least 18" on the rear.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks